Please upgrade your browser.
Phoenix Dragon Boat Kickoff Dinner and Informational - Arizona
5031 E. Washington Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034
NOW RECRUITING IN ARIZONA!
***By Registering Today, you are applying for a position on the team. We will be in contact with you shortly for a brief interview***
Veterans and Civilians with physical disabilities we want you to join “Team Blue”Adaptive Dragon Boat Team!
- Kickoff Informational and Dinner Nov 3rd 6:30pm at Ability360 Sport and Fitness Center (5031 E. Washington St. Phoenix, AZ 85034)
- Kickoff Practice Nov 4th 9:00am at Tempe Town Lake (550 E Tempe Town Lake Tempe, AZ 85281)
- On-Water Practices held every Wednesday 5:00pm-6:30pm at Tempe Town Lake (550 E Tempe Town Lake Tempe, AZ 85281)
- Fitness Training held every Tuesday 5:30pm-6:30pm at Ability360 Sport and Fitness Center (5031 E. Washington St. Phoenix, AZ 85034)
If you are interested in being part of the fastest growing watersport, enjoy being part of a team, are willing to commit to training and competing this may be the sport for you.
Practices will be held every Wednesday 5:00-6:30pm, as we train for our first local competition on March 24th & 25th, 2018, the Arizona Dragon Boat Festival, at Tempe Town Lake in Tempe, Arizona.
No water or paddling experience is necessary, but a commitment to your team, training, fun, and adventure is. We invite you to apply for the 2017/2018 Dragon Boat family.
What is Dragon Boat Racing?
Dragon Boating, a sport founded in China over 2000 years ago, started as an international sport in 1976 in Hong Kong and has a worldwide participation of over 50 million competitors. Dragon boats are fast and powerful recognized for the camaraderie, strength and endurance fostered amongst the team.
The crew for the Hong Kong class dragon boat is typically 22, made up from 20 paddlers in pairs facing toward the bow (front) of the boat, 1 'drummer or caller' at the bow facing toward the paddlers creates the heartbeat and rhythm of the boat, and 1 sweep (steerer) standing at the rear of the boat controlling its track.
Benefits of Dragon Boat Racing
Dragon Boat racing is a fun team-building activity and participating in a dragon boat event can benefit warriors, family, caregivers, and others in numerous ways.
- Dragon Boating creates an inclusive environment.
- People of all ages and fitness levels can participate .
- The nature of the sport emphasizes unity and working together .
- Driving towards the finish line produces energy, enthusiasm and motivation .
- Paddlers communicate by cheering each other on .
- The sport encourages leaders to move to the forefront.
- Twenty paddlers in one boat = increased camaraderie.
Dragon boat races feature an exhilarating combination of premier sport competition in concert with an entertainment showcase for corporations, community organizations, and families. This is your opportunity to be at the forefront of representing warriors and disabled veterans and their supporters.
How will you train?
We will twice weekly, Tuesday nights 5:30-6:30pm at Ability360 Sport and Fitness Center for a group workout and Wednesday nights 5:00-6:30pm at Tempe Town Lake Marina for on-water training. Our season kickoff will be Friday, November 3rd at Ability360 for an informational and dinner, followed by on-water training from 9am-Noon on Saturday, November 4th at Tempe Town Lake Marina. Expect to progress in your skills learning how to paddle efficiently and effectively with your new unit, into phases of endurance and taking this new fitness and family into your at-home life. Together, we will learn how to improve our fitness, canoe stroke, power and ability to feel the hull of that dragon boat move with speed and stealth.
You will need to sign a contract of commitment for the 2017/2018 season that states you will be able to attend 90% of the sessions.
Our team coach and mentors will provide the resources and skills necessary to reach to the highest levels. Ability360, Arizona Disabled Sports, Adaptive Adventures and the Phoenix VA are coming together to build an adaptive dragon boat community in Arizona. We will also have multiple others assisting in the development and sponsorship of this team including JunkHouse Clothing, Triwest HealthCare Alliance and DAV Charitable Service Trust.
|Powered by NeonCRM|