**WEBCAST** Dragon Boat- White River Junction & Boston VAMC
United States of America
Join our Sports Lead, Chris Werhane as he discusses dragon boat racing and the benefits that come from participation.
What is Dragon Boat Racing?
Dragon Boating- a sport founded in China over 2000 years ago, started as an international sport in 1976 in Hong Kong and has a worldwide participation of over 50 million competitors. Dragon boats are fast, powerful, and recognized for the camaraderie, strength and endurance fostered amongst the team members.
The crew for the Hong Kong class dragon boat is typically 22, made up of 20 paddlers in pairs facing toward the bow (front) of the boat; 1 'drummer' or 'caller' at the bow facing toward the paddlers who creates the heartbeat and rhythm of the boat; and 1 'sweep' (steerer) standing at the rear of the boat controlling its track.
Benefits of Dragon Boat Racing
Dragon Boat racing is a fun team-building activity and participating in a dragon boat event can benefit people with disabilities, warriors, family, caregivers, and others in numerous ways.
- Dragon Boating creates an inclusive environment.
- People of all ages and fitness levels can participate.
- The nature of the sport emphasizes unity and working together.
- Driving towards the finish line produces energy, enthusiasm and motivation.
- Paddlers communicate by cheering each other on.
- The sport encourages leaders to move to the forefront.
- Twenty paddlers in one boat = increased camaraderie.
Dragon boat races feature an exhilarating combination of premier sport competition in concert with an entertainment showcase for corporations, community organizations, and families. This is your opportunity to be at the forefront of representing people with disabilities and their supporters.
*Closed event to participants from White River Junction & Boston VAMC
|Neon CRM by Neon One|